These are materials that might be included in coaching sessions. There are various materials, often in books and also roaming around the web and elsewhere, that can be used in programs.
The 14 mistakes Senior Managers Make At least one outfit has designed a year long program around this, as an excellent working alternate to doing a MBA.
Some people see the link to Lean and the Toyota Production System, and you can easily adopt an agile approach. Deming also has excellent work on leadership, and suggested that managers and supervisors should first be leaders.
Boyd was a famous agile fighter jock. He pushed for simple agile get the job done approaches, such as the original version of the F16. I think his strategy work was excellent. One could say that Boyd's journey was a Hero's Journey. A lot of agile teams stall on OODA, they do OO, OO, OO, instead. Observe, Orient, Decide, Act, with the idea of getting inside the other guy's/company's Deciding-Doing loop. Tempo counts, especially if you're fighting off typical Western analysis-paralysis. I suggest that Boyd didn't actually do OODA, because his OODA came from the seat of a fighter jet while actually physically doing. So Doing and Acting were intrinsic to his personal process. Teams can be coached through OODA, and I prefer a five phases approach that includes your actual living-and-doing five senses and five fingers and (ask if you like) five seasons.
Where East meets West
The Agile Manifesto, Shan Zhai, and effective relationships, where East meets West, digging in with an entrepreneurial edge. Meet our future. Google on them, they have matching patterns. (Ok, ok. Shan Zhai means something like mountain fortress, with bandits outside government control. The Agile Manifesto does the same in advocating bypassing unnecessarily stifling constraints.)
Of course there also are many other additional potential topics.
The journey is a single individual process, an adventure into growth and transformation. It processes from separation, through transformation, and returns. It's often described in stages, and each stage must be successful if we are to become Heroic. Rejection of a stage, turning back, is discarding our innate need to grow. Because it's personal, the experiences, the how-it-happens will vary from one person to another. Versions of the journey can profitably wander over into native/shaman drumming journeys. (For those going to China, Chinese host outfits will take you to KTV and for some that is a kind of mindbending noisy Hero's Journey, but I insist you put it on a different scorecard than shamanic drumming. If you want read a Chinese Hero's Journey read about the Monkey King in "The Journey to the West")
It's the same kind of journey with a different outlook. “When you follow your bliss... doors will open where you would not have thought there would be doors; and where there wouldn't be a door for anyone else.” -- Joseph Campbell “Follow Your Bliss” is akin to following your High Performance Pattern.
Both “The Hero's Journey” and “Follow Your Bliss” are create-your-own-life patterns not happiness patterns, and ways to improve our self-awareness of our natural archetypes. "an archetype is a doubling or repetitive pattern appearing spontaneously in three or four relatively independent channels." -- Arnold Mindell. Suitable material to do them is available from many sources.
. First with a
one-line description, then a longer description.
Versions of the ebooks are viewable on books.google.com. Just go there and type in, or copy then paste, the ebook name eg “The Team Leader” to get reading access. Clients can arrange to download and print PDF copies of them from docs.google.com. If you don't have a pdf reader, you can download the free Adobe reader from http://get.adobe.com/reader/
Meta Communicator Become an Adroit Speaker, with adept interpersonal speaking skills
Your Living Myth Nuke swacks of anxieties. Adopt your unique personal success patterns
Buoyancy – Optimism Optimistically buoy your Happier, Healthier, more Creative Life
The Team Leader Learn Leadership by doing it in a Teamwork context
Fast Growth Leader Ignite and Launch Your Personal Lifelong Leader's Toolkit
In The Hot Seat Survive the crunch. Grow Beyond Crisis into New Opportunities
Holistic Happiness Happily hop into intuition, humor, creativity, and a longer happier life
Playful Living Each Day of Your Life. A short fascinating voyage in self-exploration
Dragon's Play Playfully Splashing into Human Diversity in Myth Culture and Spirit
The Dao of Diabetes Nuke diabetes II. Rise out of its morass into your lovely life
Thrive Through the Flu Pandemic Creating your own custom pandemic handling program.
Team Growing Cycles Teamwork. Like what you see on the Team web page.
- interpersonal communications of various sorts. The Meta Communicator hones your public speaking skills, learning by doing, then goes beyond, changing your life by building a wide array of interpersonal communications capabilities. (#0305 ~61p)
This can be quite like the popular Toastmasters program.
– develop your buoyant - resilient personality. This Toolkit develops your capability to stay upbeat. We first measure, then build up your flexible optimism, then go beyond to making you effectively happier in most situations most of the time. (#0301 ~178p)
This is akin to the US Army resiliency program, but predates it by some years.
– Find and follow your personal High Performance Pattern for sustained happier higher performance. Explore and develop living patterns - your personal and social myths and holistic team roles. Ride them into healthier, happier success. Awaken your mythmaker. (#0306 ~80p)
Your HPP is a kind of behaviour signature. When you follow it you're more successful. It pattern matches the seven stories in “What Color is Your Parachute.”
- Learn leadership – teamwork by doing it, on a project of your choosing. This toolkit guides you into a project that builds your leadership, and optionally teamwork, skills. This proven learning-by-doing program goes beyond problem solving into strategic growth, with tools that can empower your lifetime. (#0503 ~118p)
– the Leadership version of The Team Leader. It's the same project and program, minus the team building portions. (#0307 ~104p)
Dance through crisis. Feel better in crisis situations. Wash crisis feelings away. Grow a better more holistic understanding and awareness of it's playful cycles. Improve individual and group handling of crises. (Coyote)(#0401 ~82p) Steer crisis into opportunity.
Holistic Happiness – Be happy, living a happy meaningful life. The Holistic Happiness Toolkit guides you toward living a happy meaningful life. A happiness purpose, or religion if you like. We probe and poke to awaken your mindbody to happily engage you with your living world. (#0304 ~92p)
- Simple signature ways to play into an enriched web of people, myths, and meaning - guiding you into a happier more aware life. (#0402 ~38p)
Creating your own custom pandemic program, tailored to your mind, body, spirit, and community situation. (#0511 ~81p)
Walk away from diabetes 2. Rise out of the morass into your lovely life. (caterpillar to butterfly)(#0501 ~80p)
- The Diversity Awareness Toolkit
- How to Love Life in the River of Community. Playfully splashing into human diversity in myth culture and spirit. Awakening awareness with strategy and diversity. (#0403 ~362p)
– Workshops can be arranged on a variety of topics. Workshop formats can be 'canned' or fixed in pattern, or they can be agile, adapting within a set of options in a series of stages.
The agile pattern seeks to adopt the most desirable materials first or next, do it, review, then adopt the next most wanted or needed material and do it, review, in a series of learning cycles. Inherent in the process is the building of layers of learning repetition, a learning-by-doing growth spiral.
Contacts: Try 604-657-9595 or Vic@windwaterwine.com